Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Elliptical Blues

While this title has the potential to go in a variety of directions, it is simply a reflection of the long and winding road today was as I searched for the elliptical machine that would be right for me. I was all but set on the Sole 95s last night after doing much research, but Dick's Sporting Goods and Sole insured I would be very disappointed and lost a sale of more than $2000 because Dicks is the only Sole retailer in the area and the Sole 95s is not available in any Dick's location and I will not buy a $2000+ exercise machine without trying it out. As you may notice, I am not even linking it here, that is how much Sole disappointed me. Then, after a half dozen specialty gym equipment stores, I was left undecided on the right elliptical because I was introduced to a half dozen brands I never found in my research because I always searched for the search for the best elliptical only lead me to the best home elliptical.

Expanding into the much better commercial/gym equipment arena, I found that the quality of elliptical machines twice the price of the best Sole far out-shined the Sole, especially since the only Soles I could try were cheaper, inadequate models. So I came home and spent a few hours researching the elliptical machines regardless of price range and I found the best rated and most well endowed (features) was the almost $9,000 Precor that I won't even link here since I'm not buying a half a new car for my living room. Probably lol.

I will link the few elliptical machines reviews for elliptical machines I might consider, now that I am pushing myself to around $4,000 (not including assembly or tax) and I was 95% settled on the True Fitness es700 when I noticed it does not have Bluetooth. No Bluetooth on a $4,000+ elliptical? These manufacturers are amazing in their cost cutting. Then, while the Matrix E50XIR has appeal for several reasons, most especially web access and a full tablet (though I likely won't need it in the living room) interface, and maybe suspension, it's failure to offer variable stride lengths shoots it down. Which leads me to nudge the Octane Q47xi, which may be cheaper, into stiff competition for the purchase spot, though it does not appear to have a touch screen and sinks for other reasons, alas. Wait, we're far from done.

Both the the True and Octane (conveniently at the same store) will need a revisit and more intensive inspection. Along with the LifeTrainer series, wherever I found them, even though thy have the weakest warranty (so why no confidence in your expensive product, aye?). Still, none absolutely wow me and for four grand or more, I'd like some wow, if not absolute wow. So all in all, I ave no decision, no elliptical, and I am singing the elliptical blues. On the other hand, some say pondering before spending several thousand dollars is generally a good thing to do.

Did I mention how much I appreciate my dear friend Jane? She not only hung in there with me for more than six hours of driving around and testing equipment, but they pushed me hard enough about health to get me to walk almost 4,000 steps in a half hour tonight after dinner. If only she lived closer, alas, but still, I send so much thanks and love to Jane for caring motivation to stay alive, the elliptical just has to be purchased now.

So what did you do today?




No comments: