Thursday, June 27, 2019

Liver and Onions

I bought four slices of lamb's liver rather impulsively a week or few ago and pulled it out of the freezer earlier this week and decided, even more impulsively, to cook liver and onions tonight. My grandmother used to make this and it was one of my favorite foods as a child. I have no idea what went into her recipe or how she did it, but I blindly dove into cooking it tonight. No Ready Gravy, but I did find Gravy Master. Many pounds of onions were peeled and sliced and sauteed and fried, in that general order. The liver soaked in milk and spices (I read it on the internet), including smokes salt, garlic, and pepper. The onions cooked for hours, then the liver was sliced, placed back in the milk for about ten minutes, then powdered with flour (with spices mixed in) and fried. Added the onions and gravy and a bit of sugar and oh, did I surprise myself. It is delicious. Who needs a recipe lol.

I could have fallen asleep at 6:30... easily, but the kids are coming tomorrow and they will be here for about ten days and the kitchen becomes the eight year old's slime factory (there are slimes of every color in bowls all around the kitchen and TA's living room lol) and somehow I don't want to share the cooking space with the slime machine. Detergent is a component of slime, in case you didn't know. So I'll have liver and onions for at least a half dozen meals (yes, four slices of liver makes a lot of meals) and the low calorie plan will keep me out of the kitchen as well. Maybe I'll find myself ways to clear enough space to make salads or something healthy. I really should be sleeping.

Would like some liver and onions?

Narf :)

No comments: