Monday, June 10, 2019

Retrogressing

What I mean is, the techie in me is losing interest in the tech. Back in the day, the olden days for many alive today, when stereos were just coming out of the tubular stage and there was serious debate about loss of sound quality as the tubes were phased out by the transistors, solid state components, and eventually, mother boards I had the cutting edge state of the are tech. Massive 3 foot speaker cabinet with fifteen inch woofers and every gadget a=out at the time. From audio I moved to desktops and the massive 2MB RAM machines of the 80's. Atari was the first MAC. Writing moved from pen and paper to the keyboard slowly, but once it did I was filling hard drives and continuing on the edge.

Then came the internet. The excitement of the BBS blossomed into the thrill of connectivity on the internet and I was chatting all over the world in the early days when AOL was king and I was queen. Or maybe vice versa, but my accounts on the big sites go back to their roots and my email addresses are more than two decades old and my mailboxes were full of wonder and excitement, almost as much as my snail mail boxes were before the internet. As we crossed into the current millennium, writing blossomed into cyberspace and diaries turned to journals and journals turned to blogging and I went blogmad (who remembers?) with glee. Myspace gave way to Facebook and from the first years I was a daily player, leaving hundred of comments and carrying on dozens of conversations a day.

Then, watching the industry milk the consumer by holding back advances in technology so they could maximize profit on virtually obsolete tech has turned me off to the whole tech revolution. Watching the ugliness of the immaturity and insecurity of humanity erupt on social media turned me away. I withdrew and maintained my blogs, but seldom ventured out to the social web anymore. Friends on FB and the other social networks push me to communicate there with reminders, teams have pages or groups for communication, but I let them know they have my telephone number and are very welcome to text me if they want to communicate with me. Communicating on a public bulletin board is not longer exciting.

Recently, even blogging slowed to a relative silent crawl... until this weekend. I don't know if I am back to writing and uploading daily, but I am here tonight. No sleep, playing Merge Dragons and back here pondering my online navel, so to speak. Today is going to be rough with a critical softball game this evening and a couple of projects I need done and orientation to do. Hope the bowels hold up.

I am ready for life without electricity, no less without the internet.

Anybody wanna join me?

Narf :)

No comments: