Friday, July 8, 2016

Facebook Time

I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook lately. The details (and more and then some, as usual) are where they belong, but the point in this daily life is that Facebook offers me more meaningful conversation and even more sincere caring (at least in words) than the people I call friends in the real world most days. Certainly the gifts of the laptop, the phone, the free place to live are demonstrations that the people in my life closest to me do care about me, but on a daily basis there is little or no sharing beyond the superficial. Curly lives in his work, distracted from anything going on outside. his sheltered bubble. Jackson sends love in texts almost daily, sometimes several times a day, but we hardly see each other anymore because she is busy with work and life and love and lives at least a half hour away. So does Curly, but I drive to him.

So I spend a lot of time distracting myself from loneliness on Facebook torn between wanting to be more like Curly, oblivious to what is going on in the world, and carrying a meaningful conversation and responsibility for being part of the world. As I said, you can find out more about me on the Facebook pages. In case it matters.

Are we bored yet?

No comments: