Saturday, February 9, 2019

Changing Unplanned Plans

So I woke up and headed out to pick up Jackson and Brandi to take them to their cruise ship (about three hours in the car round trip). We reviewed the animal's needs (since I am pet sitting at their house), which are numerous because they are old. Support the dog while peeing and pooping, treat after poops, lift the dog into the bathtub and turn on a trickle to allow her to drink, lift her back out when she's done, mix the wet and dry food just right morning and evening, lift her on to the couch when sitting on the couch, pet and cuddle and left her to squeeze between legs when sitting back in the recliner, ignore the gas and breath, all the usual things to take care of with a very old dog. I love the way Brandy cares for her, so I'm happy to be trusted to do all this and watch out for her for eight days. If you know me, you know trust, giving, and feeling needed are three of my most effective and rewarding feelings in this life. As challenging as this can be, I am lucky they chose to trust me with it.

The cats (three) have their own stuff going on. One is Jackson's who lived with me for all the years Jackson and I lived together, so she comes running to sit on my lap for attention and rubbing as soon as I walk in and sit down. We have a strong emotional bond. She's getting a little wobbly and is on a special diet and needs some special care. Then there are the two outdoor cats who are finally getting a little more comfortable around me. The don't come near people ordinarily, but one was on the bed and apparently not feeling well and he stayed there while I sat down. After a few minutes I gave him my hand to sniff, then he let e pet him a few, which was surprising and reassuring to Brandi and Jackson. The other black cat seldom comes near me, but came in the house and let me pet him briefly as I put out his food. All the foods have to be kept separate and on different levels so they don't eat each others foods because of the special diets. Aging animals are a lot of work, but they appreciate it and I am needed and giving care, so yays!

I am heading out to pick up stuff from my place, since I didn't pack fr the week before I left, and then I'll stop for food at Publix (spend more than Walmart but Publix is the closest place to here and I don't want to search around after dark as it looks like rain and I am not sue where the nearest Walmart might be. I picked up a lot of shrimp earlier on the way back from the cruise ship as jumbo shrimp was on sale ($6.95 a pound). Let's to catch up on, so little me-time. Adjustments, rewards, sacrifices, changes, challenges, and fun.

Narf :)

No comments: