Saturday, July 7, 2018

Saturday At The Fields

Waking to be at the fields with an 8:00 AM start time, we got off to a slow start but won both round robin games and finished with the #1 seed for the start of the tournament. Lunch was at Chili's, my least favorite of the chains. I ate a shrimp fajitas. Bland, not enough flavors or sides, but good.

The really bad news is we completely flopped in the first tournament game and was knocked into the loser's bracket. The weaknesses of the team the coaches put together were glaring, but they did not seem to want to change the batting order (1 hitter was very anxious and inconsistent, 3 hitter was trying to power every ball and made a lot of outs, 4 hitter sucked and was swinging at crap and killing rallies. The first tournament game most hitters showed no patience at the plate and bailed out a struggling pitcher. The runs scored came from the bottom of the lineup (I batted 1.000 with several walks in the 9th spot in the lineup in the round robin but was just 1 for 3 in the first tourney game because I was trying too hard. Hopefully coaches will change things up tomorrow).

Fun, mostly, but why don't players listen to coaches and why don't coaches change things that are not working are puzzles I may never understand. Dinner was at Logan's Steakhouse (no foodies on this trip) where I ate shrimp and ribs with corn and mushrooms as sides. The cook sucked, two people sent food back and the rest of us complained, but mine was what I'd expect - edible but not cooked right. There were many restaurants to choose from, but this group wanted familiarity of a chain. Why travel, I wonder, if you choose to eat and experience nothing new.

I know, I'm such a foodie.

Narf :)

No comments: