Thursday, November 10, 2016

Counseling Friends

Friends are the counselors we don't pay, the people who listen when we need to talk about something good or bad, the people who keep us from feeling alone or afraid or unstable. Today I spent most of the day online or on the phone with friends who are panicked by the election results. Sad and some are reacting to fears of what might be a bit prematurely and without logic from my perspective, but that is often what fear is, an illogical reaction to possible outcomes. There is legitimate reason to reason to fear the intolerance and hate rhetoric, but we must do our best not to empower the fear. I am doing my best to be there, offer hugs, and find words that clarify what they are expressing so they can feel reassured.

Another Bridge night and it went ok, though the tension and mood swings continue from Curly when he is not winning. Strange. I do my best to help him but he's put a wall up so I just play with the group and let him be.

Hope you are ok with politics, friends, and life. :)

No comments: