Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Sudden Softball Changes

Ok, so last night went as well as a first game without any word on who would be there or where people play well or who hits well or anything (all vital information for a line-up and defense if we are to have any chance at winning). I didn't play so I could make sure everyone else got subbed in and out for equal playing time. I didn't even coach bases so I could concentrate on the players talents and move them around to give us the best chance of winning and we had four running outs that should not have been outs and very likely would have been runs scored. Still I heard great job of managing from most. Today, a guy walks into my office and asks to replace me. Ok, on one level I am pleased. I don't like the managing, I like the playing, but I was committed to not playing and learning the best way to manage this team of strangers with limited softball skills. On another level, I'm wtf?

I sense the drama beginning and we won, hope we keep wining. Hope I get to play. Hope if I do pitch, the new manager puts a defense behind me that will have everyone in the positions that won the game yesterday. If he really knows what he is doing and this isn't just a power trip to please his wife (she was the only grumbler and I wasn't the first to notice).

So last night I was a hero. Today, I am replaced. Obla di, obla da and life too.

Narf :)


No comments: